Image Map

January Pick 3

I am so excited to be linking up again with Lisa from Pawsitively Teaching, Marisa from The Inspired Owl's Corner, and Ashley from Just Reed for this month's Pinterest Pick 3.


With school starting back next week, I began thinking about creative ways to continue to teach math in my classroom. Today, I wanted to share with you some of my favorite pins.


The first project that I thougth about was calendar time with my firsties. I normally do it on the computer and make it interactive. I started looking for ways to make it more interactive. I discovered the picture below.
Click HERE to see the Pin!

How cute is this? My students will be returning to school looking at place value. I am super excited to use this. This was a freebie I found at Classroom Treasure. I am thinking about making it a cover and making a Math journal with it. I have even thought about expanding it so that the journal includes math writing and short answers. What is your thoughts?


The second pin I found that made me stop was a pin about math games to keep kids excited about learning. 
Click HERE to see the Pin!
This article was great. The post talked about all these games that could be done at the beginning of your math lesson. It mentions that the games should take no more than 5 minutes. The one that I loved the most was Back 2 Back! This is a game that requires players to stand with their backs touching and guessing what the other person wrote on the board. Click on that pin and read the whole article. This will be a great game to incorporate.



Now this last pin I CANNOT wait to share with you. It is called the Snow man Race.

Click HERE to see the Pin!


This game came from Rowdy in First Grade. There are 2 circles in the middle of the board that creates the bottom of the snowman. In the center of the inner circle is a number. The students have to take the numbers that are in the second circle and add. They write the correct answer. They can not help each other or tell each when they are wrong. Now I was thinking about making snowmen and laminating them so that I would have charts of Snowman race or create a file on my active board so it would last longer. Plus, I don't know about you but I am seriously lazy about wanting to redraw the snowman everyday. LOL!!! I need to work smarter not harder. I am also thinking about turning it into a math station.


Well there you have it! There are my Pick 3 for the month of January. I cannot wait to get started and really get these activities going. If you love reading about my picks, then hop around and read some more. I am off to read some of my bloggy friends now. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!


4 comments:

  1. I agree with you- the rest of the year has to be about working smarter, not harder! I am working on a calendar math page right now, and my plan is to send it to their devices and have fill it out on their tablets. I love the idea of playing math games at the beginning of math. I need to make more time for that! Thank you for linking up with us and sharing your great pins! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the math games! Thanks for sharing and linking up! Wishing you a blessed 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh @ The Applicious Teacher is a good friend of mine...I love that post as well!! The calendar time page is a fabulous guide for introducing and reviewing very important concepts! Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great math games! We play the 100s game all the time. My kids LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete